Friday, April 18, 2008

Fostering a dog: interview with reader Kelly M.


We decided to reach out to one of our readers, Kelly M. and ask her a few questions about fostering dogs. Read our interview with Kelly below and be sure to check out the pictures of Daizy and Sammie, the two dogs that Kelly has fostered in the past few months.

1. Why did you decide to foster dogs?
I’ve always loved dogs…and since getting my own place, I’ve missed having a puppy around! I know that there are so many dogs in need of good homes and knew that by fostering, I could help get a puppy one step closer to a permanent, loving home.

2. What has been the biggest challenge of the fostering process?
Dogs can have a hard time adjusting to a new atmosphere. Getting the dog acclimated and comfortable in my home and with a bunch of new faces can be tricky.

3. What happens if a foster dog is not a good fit for the foster family?
I’m sure that every rescue organization is different, but if I have a serious issue with the “fit” of a specific foster dog in my life, I’m able to return it to my lab rescue organization in hopes that a different home might be a better solution. So far, it hasn’t been a problem though.

4. Does fostering mean you have to adopt the dog?
Absolutely not. By agreeing to foster a dog, you’re agreeing to provide care and love only until the dog finds a permanent home. Many times, rescue organizations will provide necessities like food, crate and toys to ensure that you aren’t out a bunch of money too!

5. Do you ever want to adopt the dogs you foster?
It crosses my mind with every single dog I foster! It may turn out that one of these days, I decide to keep one of my foster dogs. In the meantime, the longer I foster, the more dogs I can help!

6. Have you had any extreme behavioral issues with the dogs you have fostered?
I’ve been pretty lucky because the dogs that I’ve had so far have been wonderful. I’ve had both adult dogs and puppies---and each come with their own set of minor behavioral challenges! While the dog is in my care, I need to make sure that I’m training/disciplining him or her as if it was my own dog.

7. Have you ever been reluctant to give up a dog after fostering?
It’s definitely hard to say goodbye to an animal that becomes part of your home (even if it is only for a short time!)…but the thought that the dog is going to a pre-approved, good home is enough to make the goodbye process easier. Most rescue organizations have an adoption process and the foster parent is able to have a strong influence (or in my case, total control) over the home that the dog ends up in. You can take what you learn about the dog’s temperament and personality and make sure the new family is a good match!

8. What has been the best part of the whole process?
Knowing that I’ve helped take animals from high-kill shelters and place them with loving families. It’s so rewarding to hear from a dog’s new family that they are doing great and having fun in their new environment.

Sammie, black lab

Daizy,
vischla lab mix

Here are a couple of local animal shelters in Memphis. We hope Kelly's information has inspired you, as it has inspired us!

http://www.memphishumane.org/
http://www.blogger.com/www.germantown.petfinder.com
http://www.blogger.com/www.petfinder.com/shelters/AR61.html
http://www.blogger.com/www.guardianangelpetrescue.com/
http://www.blogger.com/www.houseofmews.com/


No comments: